Saturday, February 6, 2016

6 February, 2016: Pilot Episode


  Pilot Episode


Here is some commentary and stuff of the likes for the pilot episode of Steven Universe. Some interesting facts about this episode, which I admit I found on the wiki page but thought I'd share them are that:
   1. It was an online only aired episode, Rebecca Sugar was asked by Cartoon Network to create a pilot for a proposed series, this episode was the result, and was uploaded on Rebecca's father's youtube channel.
  2. The episode was originall going to be named "The Electric Skull"

Right off the bat the opening song is different, Garnet introduces the Crystal Gems (a slacker haired Garnet who looks kinda like Prince), a weirdly sexual Amethyst with eyes that look kind of dead and out of it, and Pearl, who looks nothing like the Pearl we see in the episodes following the pilot. There is a lot of changes in the characters in comparison of the pilot episode and every episode after, is basically what I'm trying to say. Steven's eyes are creepy in the pilot, I'm not a huge fan of the art from this episode. And if I'm being especially honest, the plot for this episode is mediocre at best.



The opening song for the rest of the series is introduced by Steven in this episode as he's sitting on the couch beside Amethyst and Pearl, playing on his ukulele. I'm willing to bet money there is a ukulele painted this way in the Steven Universe merchandise. If I knew how to play I would probably buy it, this thing is pretty darn sweet. 


If you're evil and you're on the rise
you can count on the four of us taking you down
Cause we're good and evil never beats us
We'll win the fight and then go out for pizzas
We are the crystal gems
we'll always save the day
and if you think we can't, we'll
always find a way
that's why the people of this world believe in
Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl
And Steven!

And you've got Garnet clapping in the background, which becomes her thing, she seen doing it during Steven's singing of the extended opening song. 
   
   Some other random observations: 
  1) The temple house in the pilot episode looks like a trailer home if I am honest. The only part of the pilot temple house I like is the stained glass window seen in the last scene, Garnet is looking out of it.
  2) Lars sounds like an old man

  I love Amethyst's reaction to Steven using the hourglass ball for combacks. The crystal gems have been protecting the hourglass for a thousand years, and once it's activated it can only be used by the one who activated it for it's chosen purpose (in this case Steven and combacks). The hourglass makes it's canon debut later, in the episode "Steven and the Stevens"



  I know this is random but the electric skulls featured as the monsters in this episode remind me of the "thing" or "head with hair" that Shaggy won for that girl he liked, from the vending machine at the party, in "Scooby Doo the movie". I really wish I could figure out what those head things are called, it's bugging me I can't. 

   Character wise, Garnet is shown to be the mother figure of Steven, when Pearl and Amethyst were making fun of Steven wanting to sing his song during a battle, saying "You'll look like a clown" Garnet responds with "Don't make fun of Steven" in a thick British accent courtesy of the beautiful Estelle. Debuting in this episode are the crystal gems weapons, the earliest versions of them. That is Pearl's spear, Amethysts whip and Garnet's gauntlet. 

Until next time, amigos

 Magnes
(all pictures were found on Google images or the Steven Universe wiki page, I don't own any of them)

No comments:

Post a Comment